I really, really enjoyed the (slightly) extended stay that I had in Annecy last week. Though there is not much to specifically "do" in the town, it was really great to visit it by myself. I actually went back today for a few hours with my program, but it wasn't the same because we were very touristy in our big American group. I definitely enjoyed being able to fit in and be almost French for a few days!
Anyway, the last day in Annecy I mostly spent at the beach! I had to go buy a train ticket and then I looked around town a bit, but I headed to the "beach" (lake side) around lunch time and stayed there until around dinner time. It was really enjoyable laying out and reading by the water - the weather continued to be perfect (75 and sunny), and though the water was freezing (*alpine lake), it was nice to wade in. I had a lot of fun overhearing conversations with moms and their little kids...I managed to pick up a few phrases ("Come back here!" "Don't go in the water"!) which was fun. Little kids speaking French is too adorable. Later that night I tried to go out and take a few sunset pictures in Annecy, but it was difficult to make it down the hill into town and find a good view before it happened. The sunset was gorgeous,however, and I managed to get a few pictures on my way back to the hostel.
Friday morning I headed to the train station with the quebecoise girl that I had met. The train ride was pleasant, but upon my arrival in Chambery I quickly came to realize one of France's cultural differences: there is little to no planning, and little communication. For everything. My "welcome service" was not actually at the station to take me to our dorm, but luckily I spotted a few other American girls and we made our way to the dorm building. We tried talking to people around the area but no one had any idea what was going on and kept telling us that the reception for the building was closed on Fridays. Really? After waiting around for over an hour, a quick moving French guy, Guillame, showed up out of nowhere, gave us our keys, and showed us our rooms. What? I soon met my roommate (Renee) and we bonded over being confused with the situation.
We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening looking around the town and shopping for a few groceries for our apartment. We each have a room and a sink to our selves and share a kitchen and shower/bathroom. The facilities are very nice! My only complaint is that there is no internet! We have to walk over to the local "Quick" restaurant (similar to McDonalds) to use internet. Contrary to the name of this restaurant, the service is actually really slow. Anyway, the walk isn't far but we aren't able to be online very often. I'm hoping that I can work something out and get route some internet from somewhere nearby...we'll see.
I heard through the grape vine that we were supposed to meet Saturday at 10am for a tour of the city. Miraculously all of the group managed to show up and our two French grad students took us on a little tour of the town. There was a huge local market going on which was really fun to experience. We didnt' stay long but I'm looking forward to going back the next few weekends. They had everything there!! I think the whole town was there, particularly for all the fresh food that was being sold. Mmm :)
Today we all got on a bus to go...well of course we didn't know where! After an hour of winding through the very steep (!) mountains of the Savoie region we ended up at a little town in the middle of nowhere - where we vistited a cheese shop! This wasn't just any cheese shop, mind you. This was an all natural, very serious cheese production facility. The people that have been working there and making the cheese came from a very long and interesting history of cheese making. They have very specific processes for their cheese making and use no pasteurization or hormones or anything. They get the milk from the cows themselves (only certain times of the year) and do everything themselves. These agriculteurs only sell their cheese from their shop (even though it is waaay up in the mountains! see pictures on facebook...) and hardly every bring it to town. They have a lot of respect for the process and the product. It was interesting to hear all this explained in French! We got to try two of the cheeses that they made and they were delicious!! My suitemate and I bought a little bit of each one to take home.
After this yummy adventure we headed to Annecy to look around for a bit. Since I had already seen everything I took some girls around and showed them a few things. As I mentioned, though, I definitely enjoyed my time there by myself more!
Tomorrow we start classes! I still have no idea what I am taking but I'm sure it will be interesting. I'm getting more used to the whole no planning thing, I guess?
some picture updates: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2378888&id=6234577&l=b6317cca57
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment